Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UM/UIM)


Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage


Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage is typically referred to as UM/UIM, but what does it cover and should you have it? UM/UIM coverage is optional automobile insurance that covers you when the at-fault driver has no insurance, or more commonly, not enough insurance. And to answer the question of should you have it, the answer is a resounding yes!!!


Minimum Liability Coverage In Nevada


The minimum liability coverage by law for a driver in Nevada is $15,000 per person/$30,000 per accident. Conceivably, a driver that hit you can be in full compliance with the law, but only have $15,000 of insurance. But what if your injuries exceed the $15,000 limit? That is when you’re UM/UIM coverage kicks in, if you have it. With UM/UIM coverage, you are effectively insuring yourself against the other driver who has no insurance, or not enough insurance.

Many people believe they have “full coverage”, but do not have UM/UIM coverage. Check your policy or call your insurance broker to make sure that you are indeed fully covered.

If you need additional information, or if you’re involved in a car accident, call Bellon & Maningo at (702) 452-6299.